Thursday 15 January 2009

Vintage tickets

I've gone mental. For some reason, I've just spent a small fortune on old London Transport tickets from the 50's. I blame Kurt Schwitters. I've been obsessed with old tickets since I was sixteen and only now have I decided to act upon it. You don't even get old printed sugar paper tickets any more, any tickets you see nowadays are printed by computer and look horrible with their dot matrix type. The lovely worn serif figures do something in me I cannot explain. I don't even think I want to frame them as you won't get to see the backs. Such a shame. All I can do with them at the moment is hold them delicately in my hands like a wounded butterfly and admire the muted dusty colours and badly inked type. The individuals which have been clipped make me think of the bowler hatted businessman holding onto the back of the Routemaster as it dashes through the smoggy streets of old London Town... Like I say. I've gone mental. 

No comments: