Wednesday 14 January 2009

Gramps

I went down to 'sunny' Bournemouth yesterday and met up with my sisters to visit my grandparents in hospital. He's in Ward 4 and she's in Ward 2 of the general. I likened them to E.T. and his flower... When one has a bad day the other one does too. It was shocking to see them in such a crazy state. He's on an oxygen mask and could barely speak. His skin looks slightly yellowed and he's lost loads of weight. Bless him. He's 91 and still as cheeky as hell. If he was more mobile, I'm pretty sure he'd be slapping the nurses arses, but he's hardwired to a gin drip, so it's practically an impossibility. I made each of them a card using a picture from his 91st birthday rave. My nan asked who it was in the photograph, she didn't believe it was Gramps as he 'looked so old'. Kyleigh said that she'd bring in some pictures from the 80's as her memory clearly stopped there... Round about the same time we found the tomato ketchup in the freezer when we were looking for the Vienetta.
So anyway, she's dotty as hell but hilarious with it. Kyleigh and I had to walk off at one point as we had the giggles so badly. She always makes us laugh, there was such a palava about her bloody false teeth, see, she'd lost hers and ended up with two sets which we were having a whole heap of fun with. She eventually gave up and finished her act by munching away on a tangerine with her gums. Bravo... After a quick coffee, I was back on the train to Waterloo. I think they appreciated us visiting them, I wish them the best...

No comments: